What you can’t see honestly, you can’t address objectively. On this podcast episode, learn five strategies for getting radically – but compassionately – honest with yourself.
Click play to listen right on this page, no app needed:
5 Strategies for Getting Honest with Yourself
Okay time for some real talks.
Mentally beating yourself up, talking shit to yourself, and using negative motivation are not long-term, sustainable, kind solutions to making change in your life.
Practicing self-compassion – the awareness and attempts to soothe your own pain – is so incredibly important. And yes, when you’re used to using the former strategy to prompt change, self-compassion can feel fkn hard. But that’s why self-compassion is a practice…rarely something you can flip the switch on overnight.
People often ask, “Well if I’m kind to myself, then I’m just letting myself be lazy and [insert here, usually has to do with catastrophic-type thinking] will happen.”
Here’s a subtle distinction that my help you:
Self-compassion can co-exist with getting super honest with yourself. Getting honest with yourself and taking responsibility for what’s been under your control is NOT the same as negative self-talk. But often, it takes looking at a situation as objectively as possible before you’re able to move ahead.
What you don’t see honestly is hard to address objectively.
In this episode, I’m sharing five strategies that may help you move forward with self-compassion + honesty:
On Today’s Episode
- What self-compassion is
- How honesty and self-compassion can exist
- Why honesty is necessary for objective action
- Why catastrophic or all-or-nothing thinking isn’t helpful
- 5 strategies for getting more honest with yourself
Resources Mentioned In This Show
- The Core 4 Program starts September 1
- The Core 4 Book
- Laura Schoenfeld
- James Wedmore
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
- Allegra Stein
- Harder to Kill Club
The Core 4 book is now available! Click here to get a free gift when you order. Thank you so much for all your support!
Harder to Kill Radio is sponsored by the Nutritional Therapy Association. Registration is now open for the NTA’s September class and closes September 6. Classes begin September 16. You can learn more and save your seat by clicking here (and don’t forget to mention my name on your application!)
You can also try out their free 7-day course, Nutritional Therapy 101 by clicking here.
Join the HTK Community
- Join the Harder to Kill Club on Facebook
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter for new podcast alerts and more
Thanks for Listening!
- I’d really love it if you would take 10 seconds and subscribe to the podcast!
- Did you like this episode? Let me know what resonated for you in the comments below.