This Apple Pork Breakfast Sausage Patties recipe will put breakfast sausage back on the menu!
I’m not sure if you’ve read the back of a package of sausages lately but there can be some really weird ingredients in them, including gluten and all sorts of preservatives.
The best solution is to make your own sausage patties: I mean really…who wants to stuff sausage casings? This recipe brings you all the flavor with a fraction of the work. I usually make savory Italian sausage patties by using something like Penzeys seasoning or Melissa Joulwan’s mix from Well Fed, but I had a hankering for something more breakfasty with a touch of sweetness. These would also be tasty if made with ground chicken or turkey.
Apple Pork Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe
This Apple Pork Breakfast Sausage Patties recipe is Paleo and Whole30-friendly. The perfect way to still enjoy sausage for breakfast!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 apple peeled and minced (I used a Pink Lady apple)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp ground fennel or fennel seed
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt a spoonful of your fat of choice. Sautee the onions until translucent, a few minutes. Add the apple and sautee both until softened, about 5-6 minutes total. Let cool for a few minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine pork, sage, fennel, salt and pepper. When the onion / apple mixture is cool, add and mix well. I use my hands.
Form the sausage mixture into patties. I made mine about 2″ in diameter but you can make them as big or small as you’d like.
- Heat the same skillet to medium-high. Add another spoonful of fat and fry the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through completely.
My recipes are all in a meal planner. Check it out!