Truthfully, I’m not the paleo dessert girl. It’s not that I’m anti-dessert…well, let’s just say that it leads me down the path of too many sweets most of the time. I really wish I did paleo desserts often on the blog because, let’s face it, I’d be far more popular.
Alas, sticking to what I know is what I tend to do. This is so easy it should be illegal, and it’s perfect for making in tiny batches when you want just a bit of a sweet treat. This reminds me of summers as a kid when my family would walk to the neighborhood soft-serve place…we’d get big cones and always get chocolate “dip”–the crunchy shell that you’d have to race to eat or else the ice cream would come melting out from all sides. This one has no added sugar though 😉
Banana Ice Cream with Chocolate Shell
Banana Nice Cream with Chocolate Shell is a perfect for making in tiny batches when you want just a bit of a dairy-free sweet treat.
- 1 frozen banana
- 2-3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of ground coffee optional
- Make the shell in a small bowl first by melting the coconut oil in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds. Mix in the cocoa powder and pinch of ground coffee.
- Next, make the “ice cream”. (This is truly not an ice cream because there are no eggs/custard, but it’s a good stand-in.)
- Add the frozen banana to the food processor and break down a bit. Next drizzle in the coconut milk and vanilla extract. You may need to stop the processor and break up any big chunks. Process until smooth and creamy but not too melted.
- Work quickly…scoop out the ice cream into a bowl and drizzle the chocolate shell on top. Immediately the coconut oil/cocoa mixture will harden up and get crunchy…mmm!
- Eat. Enjoy. You could also top with shredded coconut, nuts or even some sliced berries to really put it over the top!