Beet and Brussels Sprout Salad is a warm, roasted mix of the tastiest fall flavors.
Steph’s note: This beet and brussels sprout salad recipe is a sneak preview of Cindy Sexton’s upcoming book “Paleo Takes 5 – Or Fewer: Healthy Eating was Never Easier with These Delicious 3, 4 and 5 Ingredient Recipes.”
Cindy’s come up with a cookbook full of stupid-easy recipes with 3, 4 or 5 ingredients perfect for beginning chefs or those who like to KISS (Keep It Super Simple). Note: spices, vinegars and salts are not included in the recipe ingredient total. Paleo Takes 5 – Or Fewer releases on October 21, 2014 but you can still pre-order and snag the early bird price that saves you 24%!
How to Make a Warm Salad
This recipe is so simple. You’ll bake the bacon, then use the bacon fat to roast the Brussels sprouts and beets. Then, you flavor it up with garlic and add some crunch from the pistachios. Perfection.
Beet and Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe (Paleo, Whole30)
This Beet and Brussels Sprout Salad is a tasty way to enjoy a warm salad with all the best fall flavors. Paleo, whole30, and gluten-free!
- 1 lb bacon
- 6 beets small, cubed into small pieces
- 24 Brussels sprouts cleaned thoroughly (these guys can be dirty!)
- 4 cloves garlic quartered
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup pistachios toasted
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange slices of bacon on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake for about 20 minutes in the oven until crispy. When done, remove with tongs and set aside on a plate to cool. Reserve the bacon fat for cooking the vegetables.
- In a large roasting pan, add in the beets, Brussels sprouts and garlic. Drizzle with leftover bacon fat. Sprinkle with dried thyme, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly using the tongs. Roast in the oven on the middle rack for about 45 minutes until everything has caramelized slightly.
- In the meantime, toast pistachios in a small pan over medium heat on the stovetop. Transfer contents of the roasting pan to a large bowl and top with pistachios. Crumble the cooled bacon and add it to the veggies. Use tongs to toss it all together.
My recipes are all in a meal planner. Check it out!
Want to check out more of Paleo Takes 5 – Or Fewer? Go here and click on Look Inside.
Photo courtesy: Page Street Publishing