Beet Carrot Apple Salad is a great warm-weather salad recipe, and it comes together in just minutes.
The best part about this beet carrot apple salad is the short list of just five ingredients.
What Do Beets Taste Like?
Now, I know some people think beets taste like dirt, but in this recipe, they’re balanced out by the sweetness from the carrot and green apple along with tartness from the lemon.
Beets are packed with vitamins – C and B6 come to mind – and minerals like manganese and potassium.
People get a little freaked out because beets are higher in carbohydrates than a lot of other veggies, but don’t worry. The carbs you do get are wrapped up with dietary fiber and all the other good stuff I mentioned earlier. In other words, you’re getting lots of great vitamins and minerals along with the macros.
Credit for this Beet Carrot Apple Salad recipe goes to my good pals Jamie & Anastasia from New Zealand. We recently caught up with our darling Hobbits in Boulder for the 2016 Ancestral Health Society Symposium, and Jamie made this salad for a few of our home-cooked dinners. I put my own little spin on it, and I’m sharing it with you now.
How Do You Prepare Beets to Eat?
This Beet Carrot Apple Salad takes just a few minutes to create if you have a food processor with a shredding blade. I just peeled the beets, rough chopped everything, and ran it through. Of course, you can use a box grater and get a bonus arm workout at the same time.
If you use organic beets, you don’t even have to peel them. Just give them a good scrub, trim of any long root hairs, and you’re good to go.
The quantities here will make a pretty large batch that can feed 6+ people. If you want less, simply cut the quantities in half.
All you have to do is toss the shredded beets, carrots, and apples together then dress the salad very simply. I used lemon juice and a mild-tasting olive oil, but you can vary up the acid and the fat in a few different ways.
How to Make Beet Carrot Apple Salad
This Beet Carrot Apple Salad takes a little bit of effort to prep. However, once that’s done, it comes together quickly.
- Shred the beets, carrots, and apple using a food processor or box grater.
- Zest one lemon.
- Combine all of these ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients: olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and optional honey.
- Stir to mix the salad, then serve.
Substitutions For This Beet Carrot Apple Salad
It’s easy to make substitutions in this recipe.
- If you go with lemon juice, be sure to zest the lemons first. The zest is loaded with lemon essential oil, and it goes a long way to give a real burst of freshness to the dish. You definitely need acid to balance out the sweetness of the other ingredients.
- If you don’t want to use lemon juice, you could easily substitute in apple cider vinegar or maybe even a white balsamic. Instead of olive oil, try avocado oil.
- This beet carrot apple salad would also be delicious when topped with some nuts for crunch. Walnuts would pair well because they’re a natural match for apple and carrot, but use what you like.
- Go one step further in this Beet Carrot Apple Salad by drizzling some of raw, local honey into the mix.
Of course, if you’re doing Whole30 or you wish to leave it out, that’s totally fine as well. The honey played really nicely off the lemon, but again, it’s your call.
Watch my cooking show episode for Beet Carrot Apple Salad
And be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel for fresh new cooking videos.
Other Delicious Salads You’ll Like
If you’re looking for some other vegetable salads, check these out:
- Simple Greek Salad
- Fresh Corn Salad with Avocado
- Grain-Free Tabbouleh
- Cucumber Sesame Salad
- Paleo Broccoli Salad
Beet Carrot Apple Salad Recipe
Beet Carrot Apple Salad will make your tastebuds dance with flavor. The sweet carrot & apple balance out the earthy beets. Simply tasty, paleo, and gluten-free. Learn how!
- 2 beets large, raw, about 1 lb, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots large, about 8 oz, roughly chopped
- 2 granny smith apples cored and roughly chopped*
- Zest & juice of 2 lemons ~1/4 cup
- 1 tbsp olive oil mild tasting
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp honey raw, optional (omit for Whole30)
Shred the beets, carrots, and apples. I used a food processor fitted with a shredding blade, but you can also use a box grater. Works the same, but it’ll just take longer. Place the shredded beets, carrots, and apples into a very large bowl.
Zest the lemons, and add it to the bowl. I used a microplane. Cut the lemons open and squeeze out the juice into the bowl. Be sure you don’t put any seeds into the salad.
Add the olive oil, salt, pepper, and honey (optional).
Toss the salad well until everything is evenly combined. I use my hands because they’re the best tool for the job.
Keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days.
This pairs perfectly with my Easy Pan-Fried Lemon Chicken.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a rating and comment below. I’d love to hear from you.
Pin this Beet Carrot Apple Salad recipe for later!