Slow-Cooker Chocolate Chicken Mole is the perfect blend of two worlds: simple cooking and huge flavor!
When my friend Arsy Vartanian, author of the brand new book The Paleo Foodie Cookbook, asked me to share one of her recipes with you, I jumped at the chance.
I know you all love chicken recipes, and slow cooker food definitely fits my criteria of stupid-easy. While it may seem like there are a lot of ingredients, they’re integral in creating a savory, complex mole sauce with a richness and depth of flavor.
If you love the sound of this recipe, go check out Arsy’s cookbook. She’s also got two awesome bonuses for you: We are giving away a copy of her book (sorry, contest is now closed) and you can get a free copy of her ebook, The Paleo Dinner Party, if you pre-order (details also at the bottom).
Slow Cooker Chocolate Chicken Mole Recipe
Slow Cooker Chocolate Chicken Mole is rich with savory flavor and so easy to prepare in your crock pot. Paleo & gluten-free!
- 2 lb chicken breast bone in, skins removed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed or minced
- 6 whole tomatoes peeled, seeded and chopped
- 5 dried New Mexico chili peppers rehydrated and chopped
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (70% or above)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp guajillo chili powder
- Garnish: avocado, cilantro and jalapeño, all chopped (garnish)
- Generously salt and pepper the chicken.
- Place a pan over medium heat and add ghee. Once the ghee has warmed, add the chicken and brown on all sides. This may need to be done in batches. Move chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add onion to the same pan and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Transfer onion and garlic to slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, chili peppers, almond butter, dark chocolate, salt and spices (cumin, cinnamon, chili powder) to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken is tender and pulls apart easily. If you are home when making the dish, lift the lid once and give it a stir to make sure all the ingredients are well combined. Remove chicken bones. Top mole with avocado, cilantro and jalapeño and serve!
My recipes are all in a meal planner. Check it out!
To enter for a chance to win a FREE copy of The Paleo Foodie Cookbook: (the giveaway is closed)
The winner is… lynn.s****@e*******l.com. Thank you to all who entered!
Use the Rafflecopter widget below to complete your entry! (This is how the winner will be drawn, so don’t skip this step!)
The contest ends March 23, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. PST, and the winner will be announced here on the blog by March 25, 2014. Be sure to check back to see if you won!
The winner will be emailed and will have 48 hours to confirm back with his or her full name, address, and phone number to claim the prize. Open to US residents only.