The inspiration from this recipe came from a hip, local eatery here in San Diego called Craft & Commerce.
Their version of this salad comes with fried goat cheese – and would put me on the express train to Stomachacheville – but the rest is absolutely divine. I served mine with Easy Pan-Fried Lemon Chicken because it’s already got a bright, citrusy flavor.
Citrus Avocado Salad with Chicken
Citrus Avocado Salad with Chicken has a bright, citrusy flavor and takes no time to put together. A great salad for Summer!
- 6-8 cups of arugula rocket or spinach
- 2 small oranges cut into segments
- 1 grapefruit cut into segments
- 1 ripe avocado cubed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Pickled Jicama optional
- Top with Easy Pan-Fried Lemon Chicken or any other protein of choice if desired
- Place the arugula down on the bottom of the plates.
- Zest one orange and the grapefruit into a small bowl. Cut the both oranges and grapefruit into segments over the bowl to catch any juice. Squeeze the rest of the juice from the membranes!! Set the juice aside.
- Top each salad with the segments from one orange, half a grapefruit, and ~1/4 cup of pickled jicama if desired.
- In the bowl with the juice, add a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk in the olive oil to make a simple vinaigrette (you should have about 3 Tablespoons of juice, and if your fruit didn’t yield enough you could always add the juice of a lemon).
- Pour the dressing over the salad and top with chicken or your protein of choice.