Creamy Paleo Avocado Pesto blends the both of avocados and pesto in a tasty combination. It’s a perfect dairy-free way to enjoy the flavor of pesto.
What is Pesto?
Pesto is a classic Italian sauce that adds a huge punch of flavor to any meal. It’s traditionally made with garlic, fresh basil, pine nuts, hard cheese like Parmesan, and olive oil. I decided to make this Creamy Avocado Pesto dairy-free by leaving out the cheese. Instead, I added avocado for a silky texture and added creamy mouthfeel.
How to Make This Avocado Pesto
It couldn’t be much easier to make this pesto sauce. Simply combine the avocado, basil, garlic, pine nuts, lemon, and salt in a food processor or small blender. Then, with the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil until it comes to the texture you like. This pesto will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Serving suggestions: Mix into zucchini noodles, use as a dip for veggies, or spread over eggs.
Creamy Paleo Avocado Pesto (Dairy-Free)
Creamy Paleo Avocado Pesto blends the both of avocados and pesto in a tasty combination. It's a perfect dairy-free way to enjoy the flavor of pesto.
- 2 large ripe avocados peeled
- 1 cup basil leaves packed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 cloves of garlic depending on your preference
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or a mixture of pine nuts and pistachios
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ~1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a food processor combine all the ingredients except the olive oil.
- While the food processor is running, drizzle in the olive oil. Add less if you like a thicker pesto and more if you want it thinner.