Crispy Chicken Stew with Lemon & Artichokes is perfect if you like big, bold, sunny flavors!
Steph’s note: This chicken stew recipe comes to you courtesy of the upcoming Bare Bones Broth Cookbook: 125 Gut-Friendly Recipes to Heal, Strengthen and Nourish the Body by my friends Katherine & Ryan Harvey.
Their gorgeous book—complete with recipes to make your own broth at home and then how to incorporate it into all sorts of delicious recipes—comes out on January 19, 2016. You can pre-order it right now by clicking here.
I couldn’t wait to dig into this once I was done photographing it, and it was exploding with flavor…the savory garlic, the tangy lemon, the briny capers and olives. So good! Take it away Kate & Ryan…
If you and your family enjoy Greek flavors as much as we do, then this chicken stew will quickly become a favorite in your household.
We love lemon, artichokes, and olives, so this dish just makes sense to us.
We almost always leave the skin on our chicken thighs so we can render out some of the fat and crisp the skin to perfection.
Crispy Chicken Stew with Lemon & Artichokes
Crispy Chicken Stew with Lemon & Artichokes is perfect if you like big, bold, sunny flavors! Gluten-free and paleo friendly.
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 pounds chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 red onion peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/2 lemon thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 cups canned artichoke hearts
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 1.5 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- In a large bowl, combine the granulated garlic, ½ teaspoon of the sea salt, and the dried oregano. Add the chicken thighs and rub the seasoning into the chicken until evenly coated; set aside. You can also cover and refrigerate the chicken thighs and marinate for 2 to 24 hours.
- When you’re ready to cook the chicken, heat the ghee or oil in a cast-iron skillet or sauté pan over medium-heat.
- Remove the marinated chicken thighs from the bowl and, using paper towels, pat the chicken thighs dry. Place the chicken thighs, skin side down, in the hot ghee or oil, spacing them evenly, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the skin begins to brown. Turn chicken thighs and brown on the opposite sides for 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add the onion, garlic, capers, and the remaining ½ teaspoon sea salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the lemon slices.
- Add the white wine and deglaze the skillet, stirring to loosen any browned bits stuck to the bottom . Bring to a simmer and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, return the thighs to skillet, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the artichokes and olives and continue simmering for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the skillet, pull the meat from the bones and roughly chop. Add the chicken meat back into the skillet and stir to distribute evenly. To serve, scoop the stew into serving bowls and garnish with the chopped fresh oregano.
Remember you can pre-order your very own copy of Bare Bones Broth Cookbook: 125 Gut-Friendly Recipes to Heal, Strengthen and Nourish the Body, and it releases to the world on January 19, 2016!