Dark Chocolate Chia Pudding is so easy to make for an every-once-in-a-while dairy-free and paleo treat.
The rich dark chocolate means you only need a few bites to feel super satisfied, and it’s dairy-free. Score!
How to Thicken Dairy-Free Pudding
A couple months back, I posted a very similar recipe with gelatin and some folks wrote in requesting other options for thickeners.
I reworked the ingredients just slightly and the result was equally tasty and simple but egg- and dairy-free!
What are Chia Seeds?
I used chia seeds to thicken the mixture. Chia seeds are awesome because they absorb many times their own weight in liquid and give a thick texture. They’re great to use instead of eggs/
I like to serve this Dark Chocolate Coconut Chia Pudding in small dessert cups or shot glasses for just the perfect little bite. Tiny spoons are fun, too.
When selecting a dark chocolate, try to find one that’s at least 80% cacao and doesn’t contain any soy emulsifiers.
Can You Use a Different Dairy-Free Milk in this Dark Chocolate Coconut Chia Pudding?
If you can’t have coconut milk, any other nut milk will work. Try cashew milk for a creamy texture. Or, try making your own homemade almond milk and using that.
Dark Chocolate Chia Pudding Recipe (Dairy-Free, Paleo)
Delicious Paleo Dark Chocolate Coconut Chia Pudding recipe is the perfect rich treat for a special occasion, and it's dairy-free!
- 14 oz coconut milk full fat
- 2 oz dark chocolate 80%+, chopped
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder or cacao
- Pinch sea salt
- 5 tbsp chia seeds whole
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the coconut milk, chopped dark chocolate, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Warm the milk until until it just starts to simmer and add the chocolate. Keep stirring until the chocolate is completely melted. Turn off the heat and stir in the chia seeds and vanilla, stirring constantly. If you just dump the chia seeds in without stirring, they’ll glob up into a big gelatinous ball.
- Pour the pudding into small serving cups and refrigerate for at least an hour, until the mixture is very thick.
My recipes are all in a meal planner. Check it out!