Dark chocolate mint coconut butter cups are so tempting that I only make them once a year at the holidays as sweet little homemade gifts for family & friends.
They’re pretty easy to make and you can put together a large batch relatively quickly. Trust me, they’re always a huge hit!
These may look fancy, but they’re really easy to make.
Basically, you’ll smooth melted chocolate into the bottom of a paper or foil wrapper.
Then, you allow that to cool. From there, you’ll spoon in the coconut mint filling.
And you’ll cap it all off with more melted chocolate.
Not a fan of mint? You can leave out the peppermint extract and just use vanilla extract. They’re still good, but if you’re a fan of peppermint patties, you should give it a try.
The sky is the limit on your creativity! Experiment with different flavor combinations.
You can also buy pre-made coconut butter if you’re short on time.
Looking for other holiday recipe inspiration? Check out my:
- Gingerbread Cashew Butter
- Chocolate Mint Marshmallows
- Eggnog Chia Pudding
- Dark Chocolate Bark with Dried Fruit & Nuts
Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups Recipe
Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups are just like a peppermint patty but paleo-friendly! Makes the perfect homemade holiday gift.
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut reserve 1-2 tbsp on the side as garnish or sub 1 cup pre-made coconut butter / manna
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 drops peppermint extract or more depending on your taste
- 12 oz high-quality dark chocolate or dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- Cupcake wrappers large or small, your choice
- Add the shredded coconut, coconut oil, vanilla, and salt to a food processor and allow it to run for several minutes until the coconut smooths out. You may need to add slightly more coconut oil, and if your blade isn’t sharp, you’ll not end up with a totally smooth result. You may want to opt for a store-bought coconut butter if you don’t have a machine that can handle the coconut.
- Stir in the peppermint extract one drop at a time until it’s as minty as you prefer.
- In a double boiler or in the microwave, gently melt the chocolate. I prefer a double boiler since it’s easy to keep the chocolate spreadable.
- Place a spoonful of melted chocolate into the wrapper, smoothing it out with the back of the spoon to create sides and a bottom. Refrigerate until hardened.
- Then, scoop a small amount of the filling into the cup and flatten until it covers the bottom. Hint: one batch of the coconut butter filling should make ~6 large cups or 10-12 small ones.
- Place another spoonful of melted chocolate on top and smooth out. Refrigerate to harden.
- Store in the refrigerator for best results. May also be kept frozen!