Easy Paleo Mocktails make it simple to mingle at a party while avoiding the alcoholic drinks!
Credit for this idea goes to one of my awesome readers, Krista from Kansas.
On my Whole30 tip #4 about how to handle social drinking, she wrote, “I love Club Soda with lime, but I’ve also recently discovered that flavored Balsamic Vinegars mixed with sparkling water is the shizz.”
I love this woman already, and this mocktail* is dedicated to her.
How to Make Paleo Mocktails
The concept is simple: Sparkling water plus a splash (or a bit more) of flavor-infused balsamic vinegar plus ice and a fruit garnish.
It’s tangy with a hint of sweetness! The flavored vinegars are generally not as harsh as what you’d pour over a salad and are infused with different layers of flavor. Read below for my combinations.
My flavor combinations were orange-vanilla white balsamic with fresh blackberries and a slice of orange for garnish and lemongrass-mint white balsamic with muddled mint and a garnish of lemongrass leaf (not edible).
Krista also tells me that lemon balsamic with a bit of lemon olive oil floated on top is amazing.
The flavor-infused vinegars can be found online – the good people at The Tasteful Olive got me my order FAST – or at some gourmet food stores or farmers markets.
Should You Have Mocktails Every Day?
Yes, they can be a bit pricey BUT think of these as special occasion drinks, and maybe the splurge is worth it. If not, you could play around with plain sparkling water and different fruits / garnishes or even freezing fruits and herbs like mint into ice cubes.
*I know we always talk about not trying to Paleo-ify bad food choices, like eating Paleo pancakes and cookies on your Whole30 and perhaps the same argument could be made against the mocktail.
However. Many folks are reluctant to start a Whole30 because there’s a ___________ coming up this month – fill in the blank…birthday, anniversary, holiday, wedding….
Choosing something like this would give you a sparkling to hold and sip on and mingle with so you can feel like you’re part of the celebration with your fancy beverage.
Easy Paleo Mocktails
- 4 large ice cubes
- 1 oz flavor-infused balsamic vinegar
- 4 oz sparkling water
- Herbs or fruit to garnish
- Place 4 ice cubes in the glass.
- Pour the vinegar in the bottom of the glass.
- Slowly pour the sparkling water on top. If you do this carefully enough, you’ll be able to create a vinegar layer at the bottom and the sparkling water in a layer above (because the vinegar’s more dense…SCIENCE). This makes the flavor more intense as you keep sipping. Or, just stir it all up!
- Garnish with your choice of fresh fruit or herbs.
- You can experiment with different amounts of vinegar. 4 parts sparkling water : 1 part vinegar was where my tastebuds were happy, but you may want more or less.
My recipes are all in a meal planner. Check it out!