August is Hatch chile month, so what better way to celebrate this seasonal and flavorful pepper than make Green Chile Chicken in the slow cooker?
It’s the ultimate in hands-off cooking and will save you from turning on the oven in the last dog days of summer!
What is a Hatch Green Chile?
If you’ve never heard of a Hatch green chile, it’s a variety of long, green chile pepper that comes from the valley around Hatch, New Mexico.
They’ve got a delicious flavor and come in a range of heat values, so you can find one to suit your palate. If they’re not in season—typically August to September— you may be able to order from an online retailer or find canned, chopped green chiles in the market.
Can You Freeze This Green Chili Chicken?
This recipe makes a large batch of Green Chile Chicken, perfect for your big weekly cook-up day, and it freezes well once cooked. Just defrost in the fridge when you’re ready to bring it back into rotation.
I used chicken thighs because they’re more tender in the slow cooker and result in meat that shreds beautifully and falls apart. Chicken thighs have a bit more fat – FLAVOR! – than chicken breasts, and the meat stays more juicy. But you can always use chicken breast or a mixture of half thighs, half breasts.
Don’t worry about not adding any liquid to the slow cooker: the vegetables you include will yield their own moisture.
If you prefer a bit more broth in your final dish, you may want to add up to 1/2 cup chicken broth. I found it wasn’t necessary.
Watch my cooking show episode for Green Chile Chicken here:
(And be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel for fresh new cooking videos.)
What Can You Serve This Recipe With?
This Green Chile Chicken:
- Goes really well piled on top of Savory Cauliflower Rice (Performance Paleo Cookbook p 174)
- Spooned over Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Or tucked into my Simple Paleo Tortillas.
- Or, try mixing it into a frittata or using it as the base for egg muffins.
For another recipe using Hatch chiles, check out my Pork Chile Verde!
Green Chile Chicken Recipe
This Green Chile Chicken recipe comes together easily in the slow cooker, and it's Paleo & Whole30-friendly! Make a batch for your meal prep today.
- 3 lb chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 tomatillos husked and diced
- 1 onion medium, diced
- 1/2 lb Hatch chiles diced*
- 3 cloves garlic chopped finely
- Fresh lime wedges and chopped cilantro for garnish
- Lay the chicken thighs into the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with the cumin, salt, coriander and black pepper. Toss the chicken to coat with the seasonings.
- Add the tomatillos, onion, green chiles and garlic.
- Cover the slow cooker and set on low for 5 hours.
- When the time is up, remove the lid and shred the thigh meat with two forks.
*Use canned Hatch chiles (4 ounces) if fresh aren't available.