Green Eggs & Bacon is a filling and healthy way to start your day.
My friend and training partner Trish took me to a popular Encinitas eatery recently and swore that their green egg scramble was amazing…and it was!
How to Make Dairy-Free Pesto
It did happen to contain pesto (which traditionally contains Parmesan cheese) and feta, so it wasn’t technically Paleo-friendly for me, as I don’t eat dairy. To make the pesto dairy-free, simply omit the cheese. You won’t notice the difference.
Intrigued by all the flavors, I decided to make a version that’s dairy-free and every bit as tasty. The extra pesto can be made and stored for other dishes (or even frozen in an ice cube tray).
The quantities in this recipe served two very hungry people, but you could adjust accordingly. (Note: I, for once, did NOT use my iPhone for these pictures…learning how to use the big-girl camera slowly but surely!! Aren’t you proud?!)
Green Eggs & Bacon
This Green Eggs & Bacon recipe is a dairy-free riff on Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham - and every bit as tasty!
For the Dairy-Free Pesto:
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Green Eggs:
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup zucchini cut into julienne matchsticks
- 2 green onions
- 1-2 tbsp full-fat coconut milk optional
- In a food processor, combine basil, garlic and pine nuts. Grind down until everything is chopped finely.
- Add the olive oil and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the veggies: microwave the spinach and squeeze out the excess moisture. Julienne the zucchini and cut into matchsticks (I cheated and have a special julienne peeler which I absolutely love!). Slice the green onions thinly (whites and about half of the green tops).
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl and add coconut milk (if desired). Whisk until smooth.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp of your fat of choice (ghee, coconut oil, lard, etc).
- Quickly cook the zucchini and green onion until soft, ~1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach and eggs and scramble the eggs until firm.
- Stir in the pesto.
- Top with avocado, serve with a side of good quality bacon.