Hearty Meatball Soup will warm you up on the chilliest of winter days!
One of my friends recently challenged me to create a paleo meatball soup recipe that she can take with her to Packer football parties (as we are now in season).
Not wanting her to be in suspense for too long and with a lazy Sunday afternoon ahead of me, I decided to oblige, and this is what I cooked up.
How to Make Meatball Soup
I made the meatballs pretty small so they would cook quickly and be more bite-sized (because who wants to use a knife to cut their soup?!) and simmered them in a beef broth enhanced with diced tomato and chunks of yam.
The smoked paprika I added to the meatballs really worked well with the hearty broth.
Hearty Meatball Soup (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
Hearty Meatball Soup was put together with bite-sized gluten-free meatballs and smoky paprika to warm you up on the chilliest of winter days!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped finely
- 1/2 small red onion chopped finely
- 6 pitted olives green or black, chopped finely
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and diced, optional
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced into 1/2" cubes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can 15 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Parsley or cilantro for garnish optional
- In a large bowl combine the ground beef, bell pepper, onion, olives, jalapeño, egg, coconut flour, and smoked paprika. Combine all ingredients by thoroughly mixing with your hands.
- Shape the meaty mixture into small balls, about 1 inch across (I got about five dozen).
- Combine sweet potato chunks, beef broth, and diced tomato in a large stock pot over medium heat. Bring liquid to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the meatballs on all sides, working in batches. (Took me three batches to get them all browned). You want to develop a nice brown crust which is 1) super tasty and 2) will allow the meatballs to hold up once you simmer them. (Bonus points for deglazing the pan with a little stock or water and scraping all the yummy bits into the soup.)
- Simmer meatballs, covered, for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve with fresh cilantro or parsley. (Avocado would be nice, too).