I’ve been experimenting more with homemade skin products in an effort to cut down the amount of toxic chemicals I’m slathering my body with day in and day out. This lip balm was inspired by a post I saw here and contains only natural, non-toxic ingredients. The quantity listed made about ten small, individual pots, so they’d be great to give away as gifts. If not, scale the quantity back by half.
You can really use any sort of essential oils you want: orange or peppermint would also be phenomenal. I’d probably stay away from any of the more floral or pungent scents though, because remember, this is going to be on your lips! If you’re not a fan of these little pots, you can find empty tubes for a more traditional stick lip balm. The texture will be firm, so it’s not like a lip gloss.
The original recipe I posted yielded a very firm balm and would be really good for warmer weather. To modify for cooler weather, I decreased the beeswax and increased the coconut oil.
Ingredients for Homemade Vanilla Lemongrass Lip Balm
- 3 Tablespoons beeswax
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons shea butter
- 1/4 teaspoon raw honey
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8–10 drops lemongrass essential oil
- Empty containers (I bought these in a 10-pack)
Directions for Homemade Vanilla Lemongrass Lip Balm
- *If you’re going to melt the fats on the stovetop, use a small pot or pan, preferably one that you don’t mind getting a bit messy. The mixture will form a film inside the pot after you pour it, and it’s best to wipe it out with paper towels immediately to make clean up easier. You can also melt the fats gently in a glass container in the microwave.
- Combine the beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter and honey in a small pot.
- Melt the fats on very low heat and stir until they’re combined.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the vanilla and essential oil.
- Pour into small containers. Some find that using a dropper or disposable pipette helps this process and creates less mess.
Have you ever made your own lip balm or beauty products? Leave a comment below with your favorite.