A woman with a passion for powerlifting, Maria Rodriguez began selling custom t-shirts as a way to raise money to compete at the national level. The more she supplied, the more demand for her clothing grew, and Maria realized the profound mental and emotional impact wearing her designs was having on her clients.
Focused on igniting and reinforcing intersectional feminism in the strength space, Maria is addressing the assumptions made around women in the strength realm and empowering people with her gender and body inclusive clothing one garment at a time.
Click play to listen right on this page, no app needed:
How To Create An Inclusive & Diverse Fitness World
Maria is here to provide insight into her journey and how her business came to be, the struggles that go along with creating a business, as well as why she feels so passionately about amping up diverse representation in the fitness space. She opens up about how powerlifting can change the way you show up in the world, why you should be celebrating your strength and your presence and encourages us to change the conversation around what is beautiful, strong and worthy.
If you are tired of seeing the same people in the fitness space be represented and celebrated, are ready to challenge the status quo and get stronger both physically and mentally, this is the episode for you. Maria is here to give you the space to find solutions to make your dreams a reality and shake up the mold society has set in place for you.
How does the clothing you wear when moving our body inspire you to be the best version of yourself? Let us know in the comments below.
On Today’s Episode
- Viewing femininity and masculinity as energies rather than a bathroom stall label
- Strategies to show up strong regardless of your race, age, gender or ability
- The major role your mental health can play in your ability to power lift
- How to highlight women of color to help put them into positions of power
- Ways to create a more inclusive and diverse fitness world going forward
Resources Mentioned In This Show
- Womxn Strength Summit 2019 Website
- Fear Her Fight Athletics Website
- Follow Fear Her Fight on Facebook | Instagram
- Contact Maria at firstname.lastname@example.org
“Don’t let people or things tell you that you shouldn’t do something. If you like to do it, do it.” (11:09)
“For some people, powerlifting is just working out, and for me, it is so much deeper.” (11:43)
“I’m doing really unconventional work, period, because of who I am. And that is so important because it represents opportunity and change.” (16:50)
“The clothing that we are going to sell is so much more than just a t-shirt. I want these people to wear this shirt with pride and I want them to feel capable.” (23:05)
“Let’s move the framework to say this is an inclusive movement, that we celebrate all and we see each other for who we are truly.” (34:46)
“I know that I can trust myself enough to figure it out.” (52:38)
Join the HTK Community
- Join the Harder to Kill Club on Facebook
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter for new podcast alerts and more
Thanks for Listening!
- I’d really love it if you would take 10 seconds and subscribe to the podcast!
- Did you like this episode? Let me know what resonated for you in the comments below.