Lemony Chive Paleo Mayo is a delicious version of homemade mayo.
When it comes to mayo, I make no pretense for having the master, doesn’t fail basic recipe (that honor goes to the stellar Mel Joulwan of Well Fed 2). I’ve only had this method go kaput once because yours truly was too impatient to wait for the ingredients to get all nice and cozy warm at room temperature before I tried to make the mayo emulsion. Oops.
Have some patience, and it will all turn out okay. You can also use a stick (immersion) blender but I don’t own one because I’m the clumsiest person on the planet and well, yeah, exposed blades and I don’t mix!
Lemony Chive Paleo Mayo
This Lemony Chive Paleo Mayo combines a few simple ingredients to jazz up this excellent little homemade sauce.
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.25 cups of light-tasting olive oil if it’s not light or extra light in flavor, the finished product will be strong tasting and peppery which most people don’t like
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayo from the recipe above
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 lemon zest
- Please visit Mel’s recipe here (it will open in a new tab so you don’t lose this page). She does a much better job of explaining it than I would.
- Put ½ cup of the basic mayo into a bowl.
- Use a microplane grater to zest the (washed) lemon, and add the zest to the bowl.
- Add the chopped chives. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Add cracked black pepper to taste (optional).