Mexican Hot Chocolate is sure to be a dairy-free, once-in-a-while treat that satisfies.
Now, before you go all, “But what about your philosophy of not Paleo-ifying treats?!” rebuttal, let me assure you: This one is completely sugar free and is meant to be a treat, not your everyday drink of choice.
How to Make Mexican Hot Chocolate
I use coconut milk as the base for this dairy-free Mexican hot chocolate. Then, I whisk in cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla, and a pinch of chili powder for a tiny bit of heat. If you don’t like the idea of adding the spices, you can leave them out and just use vanilla extract.
Certainly, if you have homemade almond milk or something else yummy kicking around, you can substitute that instead. This Mexican Hot Chocolate is pretty rich and is meant to be sipped and savored.
If you’d like to make a larger batch, this recipe easily doubles or triples. Serve with a pinch of cinnamon or chili powder on top.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe
This excellent tasting Mexican Hot Chocolate is sure to be a once-in-a-while dairy-free treat that satisfies.
- 6 oz full-fat coconut milk
- 4 oz cup water
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the coconut milk, water, cocoa powder, cinnamon and chili powder. Whisk over medium-low heat until the ingredients combine and the cocoa is heated through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Serve with a sprinkle of chili powder or cinnamon.