Moroccan Carrot Salad is a simple but flavor-packed side dish. It’s an inexpensive salad that takes just minutes to make. This recipe makes a moderate amount that will serve four, but you can easily double it for a party or BBQ.
About Moroccan Carrot Salad
This Moroccan Carrot Salad recipe was part of my food collaboration with Mel Joulwan. It first appeared in a past issue of Paleo Magazine. The flavors in this salad were inspired by North Africa.
The salad starts out with a simple base of sliced carrots. To that, you’ll add warm spices like paprika, cumin, and cinnamon. A pinch of cayenne brings just a hint of heat. And you’ll dress it with lemon juice and olive oil.
How to Make This Moroccan Carrot Salad
Making this salad takes almost no time at all. Do you have to peel the carrots? That’s really up to you. Give them a good scrub, and you can make this Moroccan Carrot Salad without peeling the roots.
- Cut the carrots into diagonal, bite-sized pieces.
- Steam the carrots until tender.
- Toss the carrots with the spices and lemon juice.
- Chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with parsley.
- Serve cool or at room temperature.
Can You Eat This Salad Hot or Cold?
To give the flavors in this salad time to meld and come together, you’ll want to chill the salad after the carrots are cooked. From there, you can serve the salad straight out of the fridge or bring it to room temperature.
If you’re pressed for time, you could eat this hot. It won’t be as salad-like or refreshing but it will still be delicious.
Other Cold Salads For You
When temps heat up in the summer, cold salads are my go-to meal builders. They’re refreshing and keep the house cool. Serve them up with a side of grilled protein, and you’re in business. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Watermelon Mojito Salad
- Fresh Corn Salad with Avocado
- Grain-Free Tabbouleh
- Orange Salad with Mint & Olives
- Guacamole Salad
Moroccan Carrot Salad
- 1 lb carrots
- 1 clove garlic minced (about 1 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon juice of, about 2-3 tbsp
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves minced (about 2 tbsp)
- Wash and peel the carrots; cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces. Steam for 10-15 minutes until tender and drain.
- In a large bowl, mix the warm carrots with garlic, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Place in the refrigerator until the carrots are chilled.
Remove from the refrigerator, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Add the parsley, stir well, then taste and adjust seasonings. Serve cool or at room temperature.
Find all of my recipes in a custom meal planner. Plan a month of meals in just five minutes. Click here to get started!
Steph, this looks wonderful! love the simplicity of it.
Thank you Chelsea. The extra spices and herbs really make it special.
I need this in my life! Can’t wait to try it.
It’s such a yummy summer salad. Hope you enjoy!