Paleo Baked Avocado Fries are a deliciously different way to enjoy this healthy fat source in your diet.
This appetizer was inspired by a dish the hubs and I enjoyed at a local cafe. While their version was gluten-free, I’m pretty certain they used rice flour and deep fried them.
Convinced I could do better, I took some time off from shooting pics for The Performance Paleo Cookbook and developed these delectable little snacks. My first experiment worked! (These are also reminiscent of Fed and Fit’s brilliant guest post for Crispy Buffalo Chicken Fingers.)
How To Make Avocado Fries
Basically, you’ll coat the avocado “fries” with crushed pork rinds. They bake up brown and crisp! I like Epic’s pork rinds brand the best because it’s just pork, olive oil and salt already crushed up and ready to use.
You’ll coat the avocado in arrowroot (tapioca) flour, egg wash, and finally seasoned pork rinds, then bake and eat.
If you can’t eat eggs, I made a version without. Though I don’t have exact quantities, all I did was replace the egg with stone-ground mustard that I thinned with a little water. The result was just as tasty.
How to Pick the Perfect Avocado
Here’s a tip for finding the perfect avocados in the grocery store:
To pick avocados that aren’t overripe, flick off the stem. If it’s whitish- green underneath, you still have time before it’s mushy and brown. If it’s brown where the stem was, don’t choose that avocado.
I’d avoid buying the avocado on the left because it’s already very ripe. Making this recipe with extremely ripe avocados is messy.
Paleo Baked Avocado Fries Recipe
Make these paleo Baked Avocado Fries for a delicious gluten-free snack packed with healthy fats! They make the perfect game-day eats!
- 2 avocados ripe but not mushy, pits removed*
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup arrowroot flour or tapioca
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp stone ground mustard
- 1-1/2 cups pork rinds crushed
Preheat the oven to 425°F, and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Slice the avocados in half, and carefully remove the pit. (To do that, place the avocado on a cutting board, and gently but firmly thwack the pit with a knife, then twist.) Cut each half into three or four slices, and set them aside.
- You’ll need three small bowls for the dipping stations. In the first, combine the arrowroot and half the seasonings. In the second, combine the beaten egg, water and mustard. In the third, combine the pork rinds and the other half of the seasonings.
- Dip the avocado slices into the arrowroot, then the eggs, then the pork rinds. Lay them on the baking sheet. When they’re all dipped, bake the avocado fries for 10 to 12 minutes, then flip and bake another 2 to 4 minutes. They’re best enjoyed while they’re fresh!
My recipes are all in a meal planner. <a href="http://realplans.com/stupideasypaleo/?AFFID=137606" target="blank" rel="nofollow"> Check it out!</a>