Paleo Carnitas Egg Muffins take hand-held breakfast to a whole new level.
Breakfast muffins are a really easy way to use up leftover cooked meat and make for portable protein as well. I woke up the other day, threw these together and considered them tasty enough to post on the blog.
Use any kind of cooked shredded meat (or even ground meat) you have lying around and make sure you cook the veg ahead of time so it doesn’t make the muffins soggy.
These make a perfect pre-workout snack! Add cooked cubed sweet potato for some carbs and you’ve got a decent post-workout meal.
Paleo Carnitas Egg Muffins
Paleo Carnitas Egg Muffins take hand-held breakfast to a whole new level. Filled with juicy carnitas, these freeze well for later.
- 1 small onion minced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes diced small
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup shredded pork carnitas or other shredded/ground meat
- 9 eggs
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with paper or foil liners. I used silicone muffin cups.
- In a skillet over medium heat, soften the onions in the bacon fat for about 5 minutes. When they are translucent, add the tomato and cook on medium until the tomatoes begin to soften. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cooked shredded pork until combined.
- Combine the eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper and beat until combined.
- Now it’s time to build the muffins: put a large spoonful of onion/tomato/pork into each cup. Evenly distribute the filling to 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with a pinch of smoked paprika.
- Pour the egg mixture into each cup until about ¾ of the cup is full.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until fully set. The cups will come out very puffed up and then fall a bit as a they cool. Enjoy with a bit of salsa!