Peppermint Hot Cocoa Bites are like the perfect holiday hot chocolate in cake bite form. Best part? No baking!
About Cake Bites
Admittedly calling these yummy little bites “cake” may be a bit of a stretch, but hear me out. I’m not a big baker…anymore. (I used to be in a previous life.) And I’m always looking to transform dessert-y type things into no-bake form.
So when I was thinking of ways to get peppermint hot cocoa flavors into the perfect nosh, I came up with this take on a cake bite. And, I was able to work in with one of my favorite boosts: Vital Proteins Marine Collagen Peptides. (Keep reading for more on that.)
These Peppermint Hot Cocoa Bites do have a cakier texture than other no-bake balls because of the almond flour.
How to Make Peppermint Hot Cocoa Bites
Making this treat couldn’t be much easier.
- Combine the wet ingredients and then, the dry – including the Vital Proteins Marine Collagen Peptides.
- Mix everything together until it’s moistened but still a bit crumbly. Note: The mixture will not be wet like a cake batter, so don’t worry if that’s how yours looks.
- Portion them out and roll them into balls. The coconut oil will help everything hold together. I lightly squeezed the bites between my cupped hands so the mixture would stick to itself.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to harden these Peppermint Hot Cocoa Bites up.
If you’re feeling fancy, roll the bites in extra cocoa powder or even shredded unsweetened coconut before refrigerating. Totally not necessary though.
Adding a Collagen Boost with Vital Proteins
To beef up the protein in these bites a bit, I added one of my favorite boosts, Vital Proteins Marine Collagen Peptides.
This is the first time I’d ever tried the marine collagen, and I was pleasantly surprised at how easily it dissolved into the recipe without any taste.
Unlike their classic unflavored collagen which is derived from bovine hide, the Marine Collagen Protein comes from “Non-GMO Project verified wild-caught snapper.” That means it’s a suitable option for pescatarians. Each 12-gram serving contains 12 grams of highly bio-available collagen peptides which support healthy skin, hair, nails and joints.
Peppermint Hot Cocoa Bites (Gluten-Free, No Bake)
Peppermint Hot Cocoa Bites are a perfect no bake two-bite treat with a collagen protein boost. They're gluten-free with rich chocolate flavor and a hint of mint.
- 1.5 cups fine blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder high quality
- 2 tbsp Vital Proteins Marine Collagen Peptides *
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract or more, if desired
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder optional, for rolling
In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, collagen, and salt. Use a whisk to combine them and smooth out any lumps. Set aside.
In a bowl, combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract and stir until well mixed.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring with a spoon until the mixture looks moistened. It'll still appear a bit crumbly, not smooth like cake batter.
Use a 1/2 tablespoon measure (or larger or smaller if you want) to portion out the bites. Pack the mixture into the spoon, then turn out and shape. Roll the bites in more cocoa powder if you want, or serve as is.
Refrigerate the bites for 30 minutes if you'd like a firmer texture. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
*Optional, or use Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
Pin these Peppermint Hot Cocoa Bites for later!
Love this recipe? Leave me a rating and comment below. I love hearing from you!
Vital Proteins is a sponsor of StephGaudreau.com. All content, opinions, and words are my own, and I only ever share products I believe in 100%.