Strawberry Avocado Summer Salad just shouts, “It’s summer! Let’s do this thing!”
It’s the perfect warm-weather picnic take-along dish.
And it’s excellent for those warm nights where you don’t feeling like firing up the stove indoors. Just pair the salad with a grilled protein of your choice and you’re good to go for a complete meal.
The Inspiration for This Strawberry Avocado Salad
A couple weeks ago, I made a quick salsa with strawberries, avocado, and red onion. I was surprised at how well the fruity berries paired with the creaminess of the avo and the sharp bite of the onion.
So I vowed to turn it into a side dish that a bit more heft, and presto, this Strawberry Avocado Summer Salad recipe was born.
Personally, I like the name Straw-vacado Salad, but I can’t imagine anyone googling that!
How Seasonal Helps Save Money
A majority of the recipes here on the blog are pretty seasonal, sticking to what’s fresh and available for typically the lowest cost. It’s not always 100% perfect, but a seasonal approach to your fresh produce often helps stretch your dollar…
…and it sometimes translates to getting your veggies and fruit a bit closer to home.
If you can supplement your warm-weather veggie consumption with homegrown produce, farmers market finds, or a CSA (community supported agriculture) box, that’s awesome.
Here at Stupid Easy Paleo HQ, we have a small 4′ x 6′ raised garden bed with some kale, lettuce, and fresh herbs. It’s nothing fancy, but it helps offset the grocery bill a little. If all you have is space for some potted herbs on a windowsill, that’s a great way to get started, too.
What I love about this Strawberry Avocado Summer Salad recipe is the freshness of the ingredients.
How to Make a Simple Dressing
I don’t even make a special dressing – a squeeze of lemon does double duty by adding brightness and keeping the avocado from browning. A drizzle of good olive or avocado oil brings it all together.
It’s also really flexible.
How to Modify This Strawberry Avocado Salad
- Try adding chopped nuts…almonds or pecans would be great
- Sprinkle on some coconut flakes
- Swap the strawberries for blueberries or raspberries
- Add more avocado
- Sprinkle fresh chopped herbs on top…mint or parsley pair well
If you’re looking for protein pairing suggestions, try these:
- Easy Pan-Fried Lemon Chicken
- Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Thighs
- Citrus-Garlic Marinated Steak
- Grilled Pork Belly with Chimichurri
- Crispy Skin Salmon
- Or any grilled protein
Strawberry Avocado Summer Salad Recipe
This Strawberry Avocado Summer Salad Recipe is the perfect take-along dish for a picnic, BBQ, or warm-weather gathering. It's delicious!
- 1 large head lettuce green leaf, romaine, etc, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 16 oz strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- Juice of 1-1/2 lemons
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- Pinch sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 medium avocados pitted and diced
- Optional: chopped nuts for garnish
- Optional: fresh chopped herbs parsley or mint for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, strawberries, red onion, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Toss everything to combine. Then, add the avocado and gently fold into the salad until it's combine. Do this carefully so the avocado doesn't get too squished.
- Garnish with optional nuts or fresh herbs. Serve immediately.
This salad can be made ahead for work. Simply leave add the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper into a small mason jar. Shake to combine, then pour over the salad when you're ready to eat.