Strawberry Vanilla Rhubarb Sauce is here!
I’ve been on a rhubarb kick lately since it’s in season and easier to find now than at any other time. Rhubarb is a very tart vegetable but is commonly paired with fruit for a sweet counterpoint. I included some chopped dates to lessen the bite, but this sauce is not predominantly sweet.
How to Serve This Strawberry Vanilla Rhubarb Sauce
I served this sweet-tart sauce on top of a brined pork tenderloin – which I cut into medallions and pan-seared – but it would also be great on chicken or served with some chopped nuts on top as a snack.
It would also be super yummy on top of yogurt or vanilla ice cream.
Strawberry Vanilla Rhubarb Sauce
Strawberry Vanilla Rhubarb Sauce combines the tart nature of rhubarb and pairs beautifully with fruit for a sweet counterpoint.
- 1 cup rhubarb sliced
- 6 dates pitted, soaked and chopped
- 3 cups strawberries quartered (about 1 quart)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated (or 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Put the dates in a heat-safe bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 10-15 minutes until they soften, then drain the water and chop until it becomes almost a paste. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, combine the rhubarb, strawberries and ginger. Cook over medium-low heat until the fruit gets very soft, about 10-15 minutes. You may have to reduce the heat to low to keep it from sticking or burning.
Turn off the heat and stir in the dates and vanilla. Serve.
My recipes are all in a meal planner. Check it out!