Sweet Potato & Hummus Bites fit the bill for a perfect little snack.
Having a lack of chips and crackers in my diet tends to limit my options, though, which can make social gatherings, parties, etc a challenge.
Enter the white sweet potato!
Okay…the drier, yellowish-white variety is a sweet potato and the more moist, bright orange type is a yam…
…but no matter what you call it, be sure to choose the non-orange variety for this recipe.
It will hold up better and not soften as much when you bake it because the white variety has less moisture.
The sweet potato forms a nice foundation on which to pile your favorite toppings or to dip in salsa, guacamole, or paleo-style hummus (without beans).
I used this recipe – it makes a very large serving size so you’ll have leftovers – and found it to be a nearly identical in terms of flavor when compared to regular hummus.
Or, you could use this Beet Hummus recipe which is also bean-free.
I seasoned the sweet potato disks with cinnamon, cumin, and some ground red pepper. Feel free to use what you like. These spices gave a nice depth of flavor. Smoked paprika would be awesome, too.
Sweet Potato & Hummus Bites
These Sweet Potato & Hummus Bites the perfect way to enjoy gluten-free munching at any party. The perfect paleo snack for topping or dipping.
- 2 medium yellow sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Large pinch ground red pepper
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Hummus guacamole, sauerkraut, olives or any topping of choice…get creative!
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Wash sweet potatoes and peel if desired. I left the peel on because I was feeling lazy. Slice into rounds a bit smaller than ¼”.
- Place sweet potato rounds on the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle spices on top. Toss until evenly coated.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, checking frequently so that the bottoms do not burn.
- Top with hummus, guacamole, sauerkraut, or olives or use as a chip substitute for salsa, etc.
My recipes are all in a meal planner. Check it out!
Pin these Sweet Potato & Hummus Bites for later!