It’s time to get real once and for all about the term “toning.” What is it, really? And what are the unspoken meanings embedded in it?
What Do We Really Mean by “Toning”?
With the New Year right around the corner, there’s been a lot of talk lately about toning. Naturally. It’s the time of year when people re-assess their fitness, nutrition, and health in general. And if you hang around in women’s fitness spaces, the idea of toning will come up. It’s not a matter of if, but rather a matter of when. Have you ever stopped to think why this term has become so gender-specific? I hadn’t either until a few years ago.
In this episode, I’m exploring why women use the word toning, what it really means from a training perspective, and the unspoken layers of meaning associated with it. I first started researching this topic three years ago for my AHSNZ talk, linked below. That experience left with me more questions than answers, but I’m committed to opening the dialogue with you.
On Today’s Episode
- What toning actually means on a practical level
- Myths about strength training
- Why words like toning set women up for unrealistic body ideals
- Why toning has become a gender-specific term
Resources Mentioned In This Show
Join the HTK Community
- Join the Harder to Kill Club on Facebook
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter for new podcast alerts and more
Thanks for Listening!
- I’d really love it if you would take 1 min and leave me a rating and review on iTunes!
- Did you like this episode? Let me know what resonated for you in the comments below.