Vegetable Beef Soup is one of my favorite nourishing and warming hearty soup recipes. It comes together fast and tastes like it cooked all day. In the cooler months, I make this vegetable beef soup on repeat! It’s filling and satisfying.
The secret to making this soup is using the Instant Pot to cut way down on cooking time, just like in my Instant Pot Chicken Soup. But if you don’t have an Instant Pot, don’t worry! I’ve got slow cooker directions below.
Making Vegetable Beef Soup in the Slow Cooker
Yes, you can also make this soup in the slow cooker or crock pot. Simply prep the ingredients as written. However, instead of adding the ingredients to the Instant Pot, put them in your slow cooker instead. The results will be same – a delicious and hearty vegetable beef soup – but it’ll just take longer to cook.
For best results, cook your vegetable beef soup in the slow cooker on low for about 6 to 8 hours. The beef and veggies will become tender.
Can You Freeze Vegetable Beef Soup?
You can absolutely freeze this vegetable beef soup. In fact, freezing soup for later is one of my favorite ways to bank meals. When life gets busy or you didn’t have time to meal prep, defrost this yummy soup for a ready-made meal.
For best results, freeze this soup in large silicone ice cube trays, then pop the cubes out and store them in a freezer bag. Or, store frozen in glass-lock containers. The containers are tempered so the glass won’t crack.
How to Make Vegetable Beef Soup
Making this Vegetable Beef Soup couldn’t be much easier! For best results, cut everything into bite size pieces. They’ll cook more evenly that way.
- Prep and dice the carrots, celery, yellow onion, and mushrooms. Then, cut the beef into small pieces about 1/2-inch across. Add all of this to the Instant Pot.
- Pour the beef broth into the Instant Pot.
- Add the bay leaves and fish sauce, if desired.
- Set the Instant Pot to 20 minutes manual (high).
- Let the pressure release naturally. Or, use the quick release. Caution: The steam is super hot!
- Taste the soup, and season to your liking with salt and pepper.
Tips and Substitutions
If you can’t find a good quality beef broth, it’s okay to substitute with chicken broth. My Instant Pot Bone Broth also works. I usually opt for low sodium pre-made broth
This Vegetable Beef Soup is packed with protein from the beef. If you want less meat, decrease it to one pound. Add an extra carrot and celery stalk for extra bulk.
To make this into vegetable soup, leave out the beef. Swap in vegetable broth, and skip the fish sauce. You may want to add diced tomatoes for a richer flavor.
Other Delicious Soup Recipes
- Creamy Leek Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Paleo Clam Chowder
- Instant Pot Borscht
Vegetable Beef Soup
Vegetable Beef Soup is one of my favorite nourishing and warming hearty soup recipes. It comes together fast and tastes like it cooked all day. See how!
- 1.5 lb pot roast or stew beef, 1/2-inch pieces or smaller
- 1 onion diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 carrots medium, diced
- 6 oz brown or white mushrooms chopped
- 4 cups beef broth or chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp fish sauce optional
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine the diced beef, onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms in the Instant Pot.
Pour the broth into the Instant Pot. Add the bay leaf and fish sauce (optional).
Put the lid on the Instant Pot. Set the timer to 20 minutes on Manual (High). After cooking is finished, let the pressure vent naturally for about 15 minutes. Or if you're in a hurry, quick release the pressure. (Caution: the steam is very hot!)
Remove the bay leaves and discard. Taste the broth. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper, to taste. Makes approximately 7 cups.
- This soup freezes well.
- To make this recipe in a slow cooker, combine all the ingredients in your slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- My recipes are all in a meal planner. Check it out!